Construction Project Management (CM)
is a professional service that uses specialized, project management techniques to oversee the planning, design, and construction of a project, from its beginning to its end. The purpose of CM is to control a project’s time, cost and quality. CM is compatible with all project delivery systems, including design-bid-build, design-build, CM At-Risk and Public Private Partnerships. Every construction project features some amount of CM. However, professional construction managers, or CMs, are typically reserved for lengthy, large-scale, high budget undertakings (commercial real estate, transportation infrastructure, industrial facilities, military infrastructure, etc…), called capital projects. No matter the setting, a CM’s responsibility is to the owner, and to a successful project.
A construction manager should have the ability to handle public safety, time management, cost management, quality management, decision making, mathematics, working drawings, and human resources.
The functions of construction management typically include the following:
- Specifying project objectives and plans including delineation of scope, budgeting, scheduling, setting performance requirements, and selecting project participants.
- Maximizing the resource efficiency through procurement of labor, materials and equipment.
- Implementing various operations through proper coordination and control of planning, design, estimating, contracting and construction in the entire process.
- Developing effective communications and mechanisms for resolving conflicts.
Seven types of construction
- Agricultural: Typically economical buildings, and other improvements, for agricultural purposes. Examples include barns, equipment and animal sheds, specialized fencing, storage silos and elevators, and water supply and drains such as wells, tanks, and ditches.
- Residential: Residential construction includes houses, apartments, townhouses, and other smaller, low-rise housing, small office types.
- Commercial: This refers to construction for the needs of private commerce, trade, and services. Examples include office buildings, “big box” stores, shopping centers and malls, warehouses, banks, theaters, casinos, resorts, golf courses, and larger residential structures such as high-rise hotels and condominiums.
- Institutional: This category is for the needs of government and other public organizations. Examples include schools, fire and police stations, libraries, museums, dormitories, research buildings, hospitals, transportation terminals, some military facilities, and governmental buildings.
- Industrial: Buildings and other constructed items used for storage and product production, including chemical and power plants, steel mills, oil refineries and platforms, manufacturing plants, pipelines, and seaports.
- Heavy civil: The construction of transportation infrastructure such as roads, bridges, railroads, tunnels, airports, and fortified military facilities. Dams are also included, but most other water-related infrastructure is considered environmental.
- Environmental: Environmental construction was part of heavy civil, but is now separate, dealing with projects that improve the environment. Some examples are water and wastewater treatment plants, sanitary and storm sewers, solid waste management, and air pollution control.
- Civil engineer
- Construction manager
- Project Controls Manager
- Design engineer
- Design manager
- Field engineer
- Planning engineer
- Project Architect
- Project co-ordinator
- Cost Engineer
- Project document controller
- Project engineer
- Project manager
- Quantity surveyor
- Scheduler/scheduling engineer
- Turnover Manager
- Turnover Engineer
MBA in Construction Management is 2 years course. This helps in understanding construction management and getting a suitable job.
Swami Vivekanand University, Sagar, MP, conducts MBA in construction Management
- हम आपकी मदद करेंगे.
- हम आपके strength, weakness, interest, dreams, skills आदि को समझेंगे
- आपको सही कोर्स, सही कॉलेज व सही युनिवर्सिटी चुनने में हेल्प करेंगे.
- आपको एडमिशन व कोर्स पूरा करने में गाइड करेंगे.
- Contact us by email or sms or whatsapp or phone or contact form.
Content Courtesy : Wikipedia