PRODUCTION ENGINEERING or MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING
Mechanical engineering: Mechanical Engineering is the discipline that applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science for the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the design, production, and operation of machinery. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering disciplines.
PRODUCTION ENGINEERING: The Production Engineering is a branch of Mechanical Engineering which is basically a combination of manufacturing technology, engineering sciences with management science. The aim is to accomplish the production process in a smoothest and most-economic way.
A production engineer typically has a wide knowledge of engineering practices and is aware of the management challenges related to production.
The production engineer possesses a wide set of skills, competences and attitudes based on market and scientific knowledge. These abilities are fundamental for the performance of coordinating and integrating professionals of multidisciplinary teams.
The production engineer should be able to:
- Scale and integrate resources.Usually required to consider physical, human and financial resources at high efficiency and low cost.
- Make proper use of math and statisticsto model production systems during decision making process;
- Design, implement and refine products, services, processes and systems taking in consideration that constraints and particularities.
- Incorporate concepts and quality techniques along all the productive system
- Understand the relation between production systems and the environment. This relates to the use of scarce resources, production rejects and sustainability;
- Manage and optimize flow (information and production flow).
Work opportunities are available in public and private sector manufacturing organizations engaged in implementation, development and management of new production processes, information and control systems, and computer controlled inspection, assembly and handling.
SCOPE OF PRODUCTION ENGINEERING
At present scope of production engineer is huge. Usually in multinational companies a production engineer controls a manufacturing department etc. In my view point a company cannot run smoothly without the help of production engineers because these engineers deal with everything starting from procurement of raw materials to the processes involved till it reach the market.
There are lot of openings in different fields. A few fields where production engineer get placed are:
- Automobile companies– For inspection, quality control, operation of automated equipment etc.
- Manufacturing industries– For inspection, quality control, operation of automated equipment, to control assembly line, production management etc.
- Food processing industries– For inspection, quality control, Production management etc.
- Railways– Manufacturing processes and its control etc.
- Process industries etc.
You can also go for higher studies to make your career firm. It is always beneficiary for a production engineer to opt MBA as his higher studies. I as a production engineer prefer MBA because we mainly get placed in production management etc. It is because unlike other branches production engineering involves management. MBA is going to help you a lot. It is better to get a work experience of 2 years in a manufacturing or core company and then go for MBA. If you have a work experience of 3 years in any manufacturing or core companies then you can also go for executive MBA that unlike other MBA’s can be completed in 1 year (because of your work experience). You can also do post-graduation cheaply but with more value. In India graduates who are interested in research go for M.Tech. But I highly recommend NIT’s or IIT’s for M.Tech.
- B.Tech in Production Engineering, 4 years course after 10+2 or HSC with PCM or
after 3 years Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Tech in Production Engineering, 2 years course after B.Tech in Mechanical or Production Engineering
- MBA in Production Management, 2 years course after any Graduation Degree
Colleges and Universities: There are a large number of Colleges and Universities which are providing B.Tech, M.Tech, MBA courses in Production Engineering. Few of them are listed below:
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Bhavnagar University, Bhavnagar Gujarat
- Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu
- Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur Rajasthan
- Swami Vivekanand University, Sagar, MP
YES, We can help you in counseling and admissions. Contact us.
Our counselors will give FREE counseling.